Simply Shera. Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Old Movie Review: To Have and Have Not

I love classic Hollywood films! TCM is the only channel I know how to find above Channel 13 and I'm always searching their schedule for something good to watch! Not a lot of people my age are interested in older films, so I thought, why not review a few?

For my first go, I decided on To Have and Have Not, starring Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall. It's one of those movies with lines that you have probably heard yet never actually watched the movie. The film was released in 1944. From what I understand it is only loosely based on the book by Ernest Hemingway and modeled to be more like Bogart's hit film, Casablanca.

The film is set in Fort de France, Martinique, under the Vichy regime in the summer of 1940, shortly after the fall of France. World-weary fishing-boat captain Harry Morgan (Bogart) is asked to help the French Resistance smuggle some people onto the island. He refuses, until the dude who owes him $825, is shot before paying him. Now broke, Harry eventually gives in to Frenchy's, the owner of the hotel he lives at, request and smuggles a couple over on his boat.
Meanwhile, Harry begins a flirtation with an American wanderer (Bacall) who he nicknames, "Slim" who in turn calls him "Steve."
After picking up the husband and wife resistance team, Harry is spotted by a patrol boat, and the man, Paul, is wounded before they escape. Harry is again asked to assist the resistance, meanwhile the police recognized Harry's boat the previous night, and they take his alcoholic buddy, Eddie, in custody in effort to get him to confess.

I won't spoil the ending, I'll let you watch it. I had to watch it twice to understand what was going on at first, mostly because I wasn't familiar with politics happening in that time period. This was Lauren Bacalls first film. She was 19 if you can believe it! She and Humphrey Bogart had excellent chemistry and developed a real life romance that led to marriage.
Famous Movie Line: "You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow." - Marie "Slim" Browning.


 
xo ~ Shera

No comments:

Post a Comment