Simply Shera. Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Years Resolutions?

It's 2013 already! I'm having a hard time believing it is already a new year. It feels like 2012 just flew by, but I suppose that's because I'm getting older and now the years seem shorter than I remember. My birthday will be here in three days and while I am excited about having a day of my own, I dread getting older. It's a little daunting to think that I will soon no longer be a teenager. Maybe it's immature of me, but I hate getting older.
 
Growing up is not really what I planned to blog about though, instead I wanted to talk about resolutions. I'm not sure how many of you made them. I myself started to seriously make one last year for the first time. Last year my resolution was simple, yet at the same time kind of a big deal for me. It was to "be happier." I wasn't in the best place at that time. I was depressed and I had been for a while. It's uncomfortable for me to share that, especially on the Internet, but I felt like I needed to. For part of my personal growth and blah. But I can say now that I am a much happier person this year, even if I am today feeling tired, stressed, and cranky. Ever since I started trying to be happy, to do things for myself, my life has really changed. But this year I've decided to turn it around.
 
I wasn't really thinking about making a new years resolution, it just kind of came to me. I was watching It's a Wonderful Life from Christmas Eve and I just started thinking about how George Bailey sacrificed so much of his dreams for others without expecting anything in return. He never realized how much his little actions had been a blessing to others until he makes the fateful wish that thousands of holiday tv show episodes and lifetime movies now spoof. It's not until after Clarence shows him what Bedford Falls would be like if he had never been born that George realizes what an impact he really made.
As Clarence tells him, "No man is a failure who as friends." That's what got me thinking, what kind of a friend am I? Last year my resolution was about making myself better, but this year my resolution is about others. This year I've decided my resolution will be to, "be a blessing to others."
 
Humans are selfish, everyone knows this. But that doesn't mean we can't do selfless and wonderful things. God taught us this when he did well, everything. When he created life, when he gave us eternal life and when he gives us life each day. I don't want to spend everyday thinking only of me. I want to wake up in the morning and think, "how can I bless someone today? How can I make their life a smidgen better?" I don't want to be expecting something in return.
 

As we move forward into this new year, I have plenty of hopes, plans, and dreams. But I don't want to loose sight of this viewpoint now. It's not something can that be planned or measured, it's simply a change of focus, a change of thought. I wish you all the best in your resolutions!

Oh, and Happy New Year!
xo ~ Shera
image via imdb

No comments:

Post a Comment