Simply Shera. Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Homeschooled People Are Normal Too: The Struggles of a Girl Who Was Persecuted For Her Education


 
I was homeschooled.  I went to kindergarten in public school, then after that, my parents decided to try homeschooling out.  I loved being homeschooled.  I loved wearing pajamas until noon and being able to learn at my own pace and study by myself.  But I always wished I was public schooled anyway and here is why: Because I was homeschooled, people treated me differently. 
 
Whenever someone asked me where I went to school and I told them I was homeschooled, there was an immediate change in their demeanor.  The general response was, "Oh," and I knew what they were thinking... You're one of those kids...
 
Most people think homeschoolers are sheltered, unsocialized, religious freaks, with no sense of style, and mental disorders.  Sometimes that is the case, sometimes kids are sheltered and sometimes they have learning disabilities. But not everyone; not the majority.
 
I hated how people treated me.  Like I was stupid, like I was unsocialized, like I didn't know anything.  Like they were somehow better than me, cooler than me, smarter than me. 
And they didn't even know me.
 
A lot of people don't understand what homeschooling is.  The thing is, homeschooling is different for different families.  Some do co-ops, which I did for a few years when I was younger and some my senior year.  Some families do video school, and some do online school.  Some parents teach their children all by themselves using a curriculum.  Some children basically teach themselves using a curriculum - which is mainly what I did.
 
Lots of famous people have been homeschooled: George Washington, Ben Franklin, Abe Lincoln, Franklin Roosevelt, Winston Churchill, Sandra Day O'Conner, Albert Einstein, Blaise Pascal, William Blake, Leonardo da Vinci, Alexander Bell, Thomas Edison, Irving Berlin, Wolfgang Mozart, Hans Christian Anderson, Mark Twain, Charles Dickens, Robert Frost, Agatha Christie, Margaret Atwood, C.S. Lewis, Beatrix Potter, Walt Whitman, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Susan B. Anthony, Sam Houston. A lot of celebrities were homeschooled too: Will Smith's kids, The Jonas Brothers, Hillary Duff, Tim Tebow, Venus and Serena Williams, Bethany Hamilton, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Christina Aguilera, and lots more. Do you think any of these people had trouble socializing and being successful in life?

I spent my entire life trying to prove people wrong about who they thought I was. I didn't want to be treated differently. It hurt that day in middle school when some of my public schooled friends told me at a party that I was going to grow up and be socially awkward and unsuccessful and never get a date because I was homeschooled. I never forgot that. I tried to show them that I wasn't like that, prove that I could be a wild child.  I spent my days trying to justify my education. But it never worked.
I found a quote the other day on Pinterest.  "Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you."  I wish I would have known that when I was younger.

I have always been a little insecure about myself.  But it wasn't because I was homeschooled.  It was because I was bad at picking friends and because people always treated me differently because of how I learned.  Don't think that homeschooled kids can't be bullied or have bad influences, because I was.

You can't judge a book by it's cover.  You cannot say homeschooling is bad, or harmful to a child's development when you know nothing about it!  If you actually made it to this point of my prattle, I would like to ask you to please keep an open mind about homeschooling.  Don't judge people just because they decide that teaching their children at home is the best choice for their family.  Don't judge kids because they weren't chained to a desk for an entire day and instead have a more free learning enviroment.  A lot of this is really hard for me to talk about, and I only ask that you take some of what I said to heart...
 
I hope you have a wonderful Thursday evening!
 
xo ~ Shera

1 comment:

  1. I know some pepole who are home-schooled this definatly changed my thinking 'bout them

    ReplyDelete